:: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regu…
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular network admin tools
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 05:21:50PM +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 06:05:09AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> > I was recently suprised to observe network interfaces
> > (wlan0 and eth0) going up without my issuing commands for
> > it. I'd disable an interface, then see it go right back up.
>
> Joel, unfortunately this is the problem with "smart" tools for network
> management: they think they know what is good for you, all the
> time. Both wicd and nm are particularly bad at that, since they try to
> manage network state accordingto what they have been told in their
> config, despite anything. Dunno about conman, but I guess it works
> along the same lines.

This is actually very puzzling: what we want, is a wrapper for iw which
seeks available wifi networks, and provides a GUI to choose one. The only
reason such a tool would ever look at eth0 is to see if its link is up, and
if so, skip wifi unless explicitly told to connect anyway.

So why do authors of such tools feel the need to control the state of
non-wifi interfaces?

Meow!
--
⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀ .globl _start↵.data↵rc: .ascii "/etc/init.d/rcS\0"↵.text↵_start
⣾⠁⢰⠒⠀⣿⡁ mov $57,%rax↵syscall↵cmp $0,%rax↵jne child↵parent:↵mov $61,%rax