:: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regu…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular network admin tools
On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 01:46:04PM +0200, Didier Kryn wrote:
> Le 29/05/2018 à 13:15, Hendrik Boom a écrit :
> > If he plugs in an ethernet cable, he wants it to simply provide the
> > internet service.
> >
> > If not, to look for available wifi's and connect automagically.
>
>     This is achieved with net-tools, wpa_supplicant, wpa_gui, ifplugd or
> netplug, and some hack of the interfaces file and wpa_supplicant.conf. With
> recent version of net-tools, /etc/init.d/networking also needs some hack.
> And, of course, network-manager and wicd must be removed.
>
>     Katolaz tells that setnet can do it. I haven't checked if it does it
> all.

No, I actually have never claimed that :) setnet is not an automagic
tool, rather a menu-based interface to get a working
wpa_supplicant.conf and connect an interface to a network.

I have always hated most automagic tools, because they pretend to be
"smart" by knowing what you want, and work only if you think like they
want you to think. And since they are not smart at all, they will
normally forbid anything that is not "along the prescribed lines".

Connecting a wifi interface is a quite easy and irrelevant business
tbh, only tedious to do by hand every time you put your laptop in
standby. That's where setnet can be useful. But setnet is probably
*not* what a modern Linux user would like to have around to manage
their networking.

My2Cents

katolaZ