:: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regu…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] wicd interferes with regular network admin tools
On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 06:05:09AM -1000, Joel Roth wrote:
> Hi Devuan network users and adminstrators,
>
> I was recently suprised to observe network interfaces
> (wlan0 and eth0) going up without my issuing commands for
> it. I'd disable an interface, then see it go right back up.
>
> I somehow guessed that the culprit might be wicd, and
> confirmed that a wicd process was active. I never
> ran any of the wicd admin tools.
>
> The list of wicd features does not mention that it
> interferes with managing networks using net-tools or
> iproute2 commands.
>
> Is this a bug, or a documentation bug? Certainly, the
> behavior is less-than-awesome. If one wants to learn about
> networking on linux, or to administer a system using
> conventional command-line tools, one should know that wicd
> needs to be removed.
>
> Do net-tools and iproute2 need to warn against wicd?
> Should wicd warn that it disrupts administration via net-tools?
>
> I wonder if there is any parallel in how in linux we
> administer /etc/resolv.conf.
>
> Do you have any thoughts about clarifying how to expect the
> networking environment to work under linux?

Joel, unfortunately this is the problem with "smart" tools for network
management: they think they know what is good for you, all the
time. Both wicd and nm are particularly bad at that, since they try to
manage network state accordingto what they have been told in their
config, despite anything. Dunno about conman, but I guess it works
along the same lines.

That's why I ended up writing setnet for myself: because stateful
network management just sucks, IMHO, and the only non-invasve way
through is by having stateless tools. But I understand that most users
expect something different.

There is not much to do about that: if a user wants to manage
networking by hand, they have to stop any other network daemon, being
it wicd, nm, or conman.

My2Cents

KatolaZ