:: [DNG] eudev in experimental for asc…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] eudev in experimental for ascii

dear DNG readers,

for those who have Devuan ASCII running, we have a package of eudev in
experimental to test and feedback is very welcome, since this is the
candidate package to substitute udev. eudev is maintained upstream by
talented people at Gentoo who definitely deserve our praise.

Beware this package DOES NOT WORK ON Jessie.

For your convenience an ASCII based qcow2 image and vagrant box is
publicly available via the DECODE project (Devuan derivative)
https://files.dyne.org/decode/OS/

So when you are running ASCII already then all you have to do is add the
experimental repository to your apt sources.list with this line

deb http://auto.mirror.devuan.org/devuan experimental main

then apt update and

apt-get -t experimental install eudev

currently, the full version of the package is 3.2.2-devuan2.7

those who were already testing our eudev package need to specify the
full version, since we are switching to correct semantic versioning
and dropping the "220" prefix inherited by bad versioning practices in
udev:

apt-get -t experimental install eudev=3.2.2-devuan2.7

According to our tests it installs and it boots!

ii  eudev                              3.2.2-devuan2.7
ii  libeudev1:amd64                    3.2.2-devuan2.7
ii  libudev1                           1:3.2.2-devuan2.7
ii  udev                               1:3.2.2-devuan2.7

It goes the other way, too.

apt-get install udev=232-25+deb9u1 libudev1=232-25+deb9u1

Still reboots. Just a config file remains. Not a problem.

rc  eudev                              3.2.2-devuan2.7
ii  libudev1:amd64                     232-25+deb9u1
ii  udev                               232-25+deb9u1

Among long term considerations on the advantages this move brings us,
the immediate catch is that by installing eudev you will not see
anymore the string "systemd" appear in your process list.

For reports please use this thread (same subject!) or our git issues

https://git.devuan.org/devuan-packages/eudev

Many thanks to all the Devuan team for the work being done towards
ASCII and in particular to Parazyd and Svante Signell for maintaining
the package and giving it the love it deserves.

Wish you all a great week.

ciao