:: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Deb…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?

dear John and Olaf,

Thanks for proving me wrong, this is exactly what I hoped for.

In fact my mail was perhaps badly worded and contained already a rant,
but was really about asking this list for a critical analysis. For 2
main reasons: 1) there are very knowledgeable people (like you both)
that often are capable of checking better than me 2) I am a lazy wolf
and prefer writing a mail than checking myself.

I also note as you point out that this behavior may be
counterproductive for the public perception of this project: a way or
another I also represent Devuan and maybe I should hold off this
attitude and post only things that I am sure of. This is difficult for
me, since I conceive spaces for debate as this and other mailinglists
as spaces where to share doubts, fears, needs and dreams even more
than findings and announcements, for which an article or a twit
@DevuanOrg may be better.

anyway, point taken. I know well that I'm wrong sometimes, just like
now. So now I agree that considering this and the other discussion
about redis, there is no real "vandalism" happening in Debian. About
redis was just a maintainer fumbling around broken scripts through
releases, while the rc.local case its just that people don't care
about the regressions introduced by systemd.

Then I believe we also agree that rc.local is a serious regressions?
because it now needs to be activated via two new systemctl commands,
forcing millions of people around the world to go lookup those
commands instead of keeping the default.

I believe defaults should be kept intact. In the worst case there
should be clear documentation of their change. In Debian right now I
don't even see a debate, only rumors of "deprecation" in other
avenues. Whatever that may mean for Debian and its future.

ciao