:: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Deb…
Author: KatolaZ
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] rc.local removed from Debian 9, rly?
On Tue, Nov 21, 2017 at 03:07:07PM +0100, John Hughes wrote:

[cut]

> If you have the initscripts package installed then /etc/rc.local will be
> created for you (if it doesn't exist) and it will be run (if you are using
> sysvinit or systemd at least).
>
> If you don't install initscripts (i.e. if you're using systemd and you don't
> explicitly install it or something that depends on it) then /etc/rc.local
> will not be created for you, but will be automatically run if it does exist
> (and is executable).

As Olaf explained, the problem seems to originate in the fact that the
initscripts package is not any more marked as important. Hence, if you
don't have it, you won't get it by default. I personally agree on the
fact that this is somehow a regression.

Also, it is not clear to me *when* the automagic systemd tool that
should create the systemd service (if rc.local is executable) is
run. *If* it's only run during systemd's postinst, this means that no
rc.local is created or honoured by default by systemd (unless it
already exists in the system when the systemd package is installed),
but we need to double-check it.

What matters is that we need to retain initscripts as "important".

> I'll be installing some new Stretch systems later this week, if I find
> anything different I'll get back to the list.

Great. Thanks.

HND

KatolaZ