:: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in C…
Author: Alessandro Selli
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Google abandons UEFI in Chromebooks
On Thu, 2 Nov 2017 at 20:46:58 -0400
zap <calmstorm@???> wrote:

> On 11/02/2017 07:35 PM, Alessandro Selli wrote:

>>> Something tells me you won't accept any other answer except your own, so
>>> I will pass.
>> I take any verifiable fact as proof. Don't duck away blaming the
>> others of your cowardice.
> Very well then,
> https://libreboot.org/faq.html#will-the-purism-laptops-be-supported
>
> that is one perfect example.

It isn't, as, AFAIK, purism didn't advertise it's laptops as running on
libreboot, so they did not lie.

> If it were possible, I think libreboot
> would have said something by now about the intel_me cleaner making it
> possible.

Where did you read anything about intel_me cleaner in
https://puri.sm/posts/deep-dive-into-intel-me-disablement/ ? You're stuck
with old news.

> Another thing, if you want to know if is truly possible to support
> purism try opening a pull request on
> https://notabug.org/libreboot/libreboot/pulls.
>
> I guarantee Leah will specify how impossible it is.

Yes, I know, they failed disabling ME and they stopped even trying. Purism
has gone farther than anyone though possible just two years ago, and they are
not saying ME is 100% removed:

https://puri.sm/posts/purism-librem-laptops-completely-disable-intel-management-engine/

“Purism, in the long-term pursuit of liberating hardware at the lowest
levels, still has more work to do. Removing the management engine entirely is
the next step beyond just disabling it. Coreboot also includes another
binary, the Intel FSP, a less worrisome but still important binary to
liberate, incorporating a free vBIOS is another step Purism plans to take.
The road to a completely free system on current Intel CPUs is not over, but
the largest step of disabling the Management Engine is arguably the largest
milestone to cross.” says Youness Alaoui, Hardware Enablement Developer at
Purism.

> Coreboot does load blobs for certain devices, so it shouldn't be any
> surprise that coreboot supports librem.

They did not lie about this.

Alessandro