:: Re: [DNG] I have a question about l…
Author: Enrico Weigelt, metux IT consult
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] I have a question about libsystemd0 in devuan ascii,
On 19.06.2017 13:24, KatolaZ wrote:

Hi folks,

> the main problem with this is that if you want to provide a consistent> interface to the upper-level userland and to include support for

fancy> concepts like "session" and "seat", as systemd aspires to, you
must> have control on all the low-level userland.

Could anyone please enlighten me, what all these "seat" and "session"
stuff is really about ? What is the underlying problem to solve here ?

For "seats", I'd imagine machines that provider several physical
workstations. Multiple displays, keyboards, etc grouped together,
and these "seats" shall be isolated in a way that they don't interfere.

Okay, so why not just using lxc for that ? Let some $seatmgr set up
containers for the seats, which only the devices they're supposed to.
Shouldn't even make much difference whether these containers run
different systems or all the same (just mount in the host). Such an
tool would be even useful for other scenarios, eg. some docker desktop
integration, etc.

I really don't see any need for an DE to even know about these things.

Now, I'm wondering, what this "session" stuff is about ...

--mtx

--
Enrico, Sohn von Wilfried, a.d.F. Weigelt,
metux IT consulting