:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 12:06:49AM -0800, Rick Moen wrote:
> Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):
> > On 2017-02-21 17:20, aitor_czr wrote:
>
> > I'm not a fan of anything adwaita but we may not have many choices
> > for gtk3 compatible themes going forward. This explains a lot of
> > what's going on:
> >
> > https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Yeah, Gnome3 and GTK3 are beyond abysmal, but...

> Xfce4 is an interesting case. For now, Xfce4's happily relying on gtk+2,
> but eventually the devs will be forced to either fork and maintain it
> themselves or migrate. For the last few months, there have been some
> very tentative coding efforts to port parts of the desktop to gtk+3
> (archives at https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce4-dev), but
> we'll have to see whether they maintain course as they work through the
> problems.

Unless you live in the past (I've already migrated even production systems
from jessie -- upgrade to stretch is flawless so far), I have bad news: XFCE
has in a good part already migrated to GTK3.

Which, in a theme thread, means you have no choice but to get a combined
GTK2+GTK3 theme. This is a pain as most good themes are GTK2 only, and those
with a GTK3 component need to be reworked every time GTK3's minor version
changes (no backwards compat at all).

Meow!
--
Autotools hint: to do a zx-spectrum build on a pdp11 host, type:
./configure --host=zx-spectrum --build=pdp11