:: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Gtk3-theme
Quoting golinux@??? (golinux@???):

> On 2017-02-21 17:20, aitor_czr wrote:

> I'm not a fan of anything adwaita but we may not have many choices
> for gtk3 compatible themes going forward. This explains a lot of
> what's going on:
>
> https://igurublog.wordpress.com/2012/11/05/gnome-et-al-rotting-in-threes/

Several of IgnorantGuru's blog posts from around that time speak to the
greatly increased GNOME lock-in that has plagued the gkt+3 series,
in sharp contrast to gtk+2.

I've been looking around for a single clear, _short_ piece I can point
people to, detailing this problem -- particularly when I'm addressing
admirers of meritorious DEs like Xfce4 that (for now) are reliant on
gtk+3 development. I think I've found an OK one here:

https://www.gadgetdaily.xyz/a-linux-conspiracy-theory/

The 'conspiracy theory' framing is unfortunate as many readers largely
discount material so characterised. Perhaps the editors of Linux User &
Developer magazine applied that gloss to the piece.

That aside, this might be the best thing I can point users to, to
justify my inference that DE defection from gtk to Qt has been a general
trend for several years for (among other things) the reasons detailed
there. See, most notably, LXDE and Razor-Qt joining forces and moving
to Qt 5.0 for their joint 'LXQt' DE..

Xfce4 is an interesting case. For now, Xfce4's happily relying on gtk+2,
but eventually the devs will be forced to either fork and maintain it
themselves or migrate. For the last few months, there have been some
very tentative coding efforts to port parts of the desktop to gtk+3
(archives at https://mail.xfce.org/mailman/listinfo/xfce4-dev), but
we'll have to see whether they maintain course as they work through the
problems.

Meanwhile, I've added a link from my 'Dept. of Web-Search Juice' on the
front page of http://linuxmafia.com/ to above-cited URL with anchor text
'gtk3 GNOME dependency'. Anyone know a better piece? If so, please
speak up.