:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Quoting Rainer Weikusat (rweikusat@???):

> Steve Litt <slitt@???> writes:

> > What's wrong with 8.8.8.8?
>
> Why would I want to send a list of all web sites I visit to an
> advertising company providing a 'free' service who wants to have this
> information because it's valuable business data?

And also, of course, _timestamps_ on all of that logged data, so Google,
Inc. knows exactly when someone at your IP address resolves each FQDN.

This dataset is of course of limited use to Google, Inc. without
personalising data and specifics of the network traffic -- unless, oops!
the user also is triggering Google Analytics logging all over the Web,
carries around state from Google Search activity, uses other Google
services, and especially if the user logs in using Google Account
authentication for those services. In that case, hey! Traffic analysis
data so very remunerative that a huge, nosy company can live off it.

As the saying goes, always check to see who's paying for the 'service'.
If you're not paying, then you're probably not the customer; you're the
product.

But it could be worse: Google, Inc. is only the _second_ most nosy
corporation in the entire world. Imagine if people were outsourcing
all recursive nameservice to Facebook. ;->