:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Arnt Gulbrandsen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Simon Hobson writes:
> For the rest of us, if we have no DNS servers in resolv.conf
> then we expect the system to respect that and not do DNS
> resolution. That is the **ONLY** correct behaviour.
>
> What is absolutely, 100%, not acceptable behaviour is what's
> been done - to silently do something that no sane admin would
> expect, and many people have objections to doing. Even worse is
> when there isn't a mechanism for turning this off.

You can also make a similar argument that if the software requests DNS
lookups and nothing's been firewalled, then the **ONLY** correct behaviour
is to fulfil the request.

There is a contradiction here. An operation is requested and configured to
be available in the firewall, but configuration blocks it elsewhere.
Calling any particular behaviour a 100% solution is IMO naïve.

Arnt