:: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Author: Rick Moen
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] how to clear DNS cache
Am concurring, but quibbling on a minor detail, anyway.

Quoting Simon Hobson (linux@???):

> What is absolutely, 100%, not acceptable behaviour is what's been done
> - to silently do something that no sane admin would expect, and many
> people have objections to doing. Even worse is when there isn't a
> mechanism for turning this off.

Well, not quite. if you know *ix at all[0]:

# sed -i 's/^nameserver/#nameserver/' /etc/resolv.conf

To disable system DNS (but not /etc/hosts) entirely:

# cp /etc/nsswitch.conf /etc/nsswitch.conf-ORIGINAL
# sed -i 's/dns//g' /etc/nsswitch.conf

> Comparison with (for example) NTP defaulting to using pool.ntp.org by
> default are disingenuous. For that, the settings are there in ntp.conf
> where they can be seen and easily changed. So that is completely
> different.

Well, I would also _hope_ that you have NTP only if you elected to run
it. Unlike covert distro-installer additions to /etc/resolv.conf, NTP
involves running a network daemon.

[0] Admittedly, 'sed -i' inline editing assumes _GNU_ sed, but the BSD
people can bite me. ;->

--
Cheers, Disclaimer -- These opiini^H^H damn! ^H^H ^Q ^[ .... :w : :wq :wq!
Rick Moen ^d ^X ^? exit X Q ^C ^? :quitbye CtrlAltDel ~~q :~q logout save/quit