:: Re: [unSYSTEM] The day the Hacker C…
Author: Caleb James DeLisle
To: psy, System undo crew
Subject: Re: [unSYSTEM] The day the Hacker Community Died
## TW: rape statistics ##

I appreciate your response, I have a few comments.

First I want to highlight the importance of statistics in telling the
true story. Statistics is the difference between a story of a child
eaten by an alligator which you might see on the evening news and a
tragedy which is playing out every day all around us in our communities.

Here are the hard numbers:

About 1 in 77 people end up going to the emergency room for injuries caused
by an automobile accident.[1] Car crashes happen a lot. But they happen
less often than *MEN* being raped, which is about 1 in 70.[2]

Women are not so lucky, for them the number is almost one in five.[2] I tried
to find somethng to compare this to but the best I could do was eye color.
In the US only one in six people have blue eyes.[3] Women in the US are more
likely to be raped than to have blue eyes.

Now consider this post: http://imgur.com/gallery/sXXMQTc from a very strong
man who was able to overcome his being raped by a women and eventually speak
about it. He uses the word rape and I am not one to second-guess him but the
Centers for Disease Control prefers to say "made to penetrate someone else"
and according to them, he falls in a category with about 1 out of every 21
men.[2]

The point I'm trying to make out of all of this is that we cannot afford to
make excuses "well it's complicated", "every story has 2 sides", etc
because we are living through an ongoing destruction of innocence similar to
the child mortality rate in the 19th century.

We know that there are horrible people around us, more are men than women
but it is not 100% men. We also know that some of these people will take
advantage of systems designed to protect victims, but we have to care and we
have to try. As the gay community said about the AIDS epedemic of the 80s,
Silence is Death.

Caleb

[1]: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/databriefs/db185.htm
[2]: http://www.cdc.gov/ViolencePrevention/pdf/SV-DataSheet-a.pdf