:: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free pack…
Author: Jaromil
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Towards systemd-free packages

hi,

On Mon, 09 Feb 2015, Jude Nelson wrote:

>    To clarify, the SDK will pull a package from Debian, and create a new
>    branch for each version so maintainers can observe and deal with the
>    changes?

yes.

>    If so, then the maintainers (not Jenkins) will be pulling from
>    Debian or upstream and then committing to Devuan's gitlab, thereby
>    keeping Devuan packages in-sync with upstream.  Is this the case?

yes

Maintainers can use git to diff (which is very powerful at that) and the
merging must always be done by hand and consciously. We hope to have
enough maintainers to cover such tasks which, facilitated in such a way
by the SDK and Git, shouldn't be so hard. Jenkins is there only to
automate the builds of tested packages that maintainers deem ready for
production.

the SDK also makes it easy to build the packages locally into chroots
and soon will include also a mechanism to toast all the collection into
ISO images: a passage that Debian itself is missing to facilitate really
if we look at the confusion of docs about debian-installer and burning
ISOs.

more in general all what is going into Devuan will pass through Git,
this way we can all have a clear overview and detailed records of what
happens, what goes in there and what not.

your comments on this process are very welcome in this stage, as you can
see I'm very much in the middle of writing the SDK still and can well
integrate new ideas, however the general flow is the one described
above.

>    Unrelated, I opened in issue on the SDK.* It seems that I'm
>    prompted for a password for "[1]git@???" when I run the
>    "init" script.* I don't know what to put here.  Thanks

Ok I'll look into it. Please give it another day or two before
considering it ready for testing, just yesterday I've committed a rather
big refactoring of the scripts. Passwords are seldom asked (in chroot,
build and a few other operations) and in general sudo is used, which is
also what schroot is using I understand. I hope Roger Leigh will be
happy to see that we made a good use of his handy creation schroot.

hack on!

ciao

--
Jaromil, Dyne.org Free Software Foundry (est. 2000)
We are free to share code and we code to share freedom