:: Re: [Dng] Package Versions
Author: Adam Borowski
To: dng
Subject: Re: [Dng] Package Versions
On Wed, Jan 28, 2015 at 12:19:38AM +0100, tilt wrote:
> Right now I practise "+devuanX" re-versioning, so if I
> encounter a hypothetical incoming package with name "xyz"
> and version (in Jessie) "1.2.3-4" then my modified package
> will still be called "xyz" and the version will be
> "1.2.3-4+devuan1" (and if have to revise it, "+devuan2"
> and so on).
>
> I do understand the "Bumping" problem you mentioned

It's a problem only if you:
1. mix both Debian and Devuan apt sources, and
2. don't have pinning (/etc/apt/preferences) in use

> according to [DEBPOL7.5] paragraph 4, as soon as another
> package Depends on a specific package version, virtual
> packages will not be considered for satisfying relations
> anymore, thus excluding our package "xyz-devuan", at least
> from any form of automatic dependency resolution.

More precisely, versioned provides _are_ supported, but only from jessie
onwards. Upgrades from wheezy might need to update dpkg/apt first, before
upgrading the rest.

--
// If you believe in so-called "intellectual property", please immediately
// cease using counterfeit alphabets. Instead, contact the nearest temple