:: Re: [Bricolabs] all watched over
Author: James Wallbank
To: brico
Subject: Re: [Bricolabs] all watched over
Hey Felipe,

Great to hear from you!

I, too watched "All Watched Over by Machines of Loving Grace" and I
found them very relevant. Of course, Curtis's style is invigorating but
imprecise - but it's interesting that anyone who examines the dominant
proposition behind global societies (which seems to be alarmingly close
to, "human beings are defective components in an otherwise perfect
system") is seen as alarmingly radical and even dangerous.

There's a real question as to whether humanity does indeed have any form
of collective awareness and criticality when it comes to technology and
society.

As well as thinking about the sinister possibilities of technologies
that are being implemented, it's also interesting to consider
technological solutions which have NOT been implemented - but which
already exist, and which could solve huge problems at a stroke.

I never cease to be amazed that some solutions, which are cheap, low
impact and straightforward, and which often have numerous benefits, (the
bicycle, for example, is effective, pollution-free urban transport with
many added bonuses in terms of mobility, fitness, and reduced
accidents). So what gets implemented, and what remains a minority
activity? Only when technologies present the "get rich quick"
opportunity for business do they roll out with enthusiasm. What this
seems to indicate to me is that human wellbeing is significantly
de-prioritised in favour of "get rich quick" and "winner takes all"
memes. To call this a shame is an understatement of the massive social
tragedy involved.

So how could a society have a healthy priority list? How could it
develop mechanisms which implement those priorities fairly and
effectively? How could they suppress the unpleasant side-effects of
"gaming" the system?

These are big questions - and while we can identify the lack of
collective consciousness which allows the problems of techno-industrial
society to emerge, that doesn't mean we have systemic solutions. Or do
we? I am beginning to feel that the answer is on a personal level - that
each of us, as an individual, needs to take greater responsibility for
the actions we take (in terms of consumption, production, interaction
and impact) and allow a suitable framework to emerge to support our
individual decision making.

Enough philosophy - I had better get on with some more work! There are
people at Access Space who need introducing to each other!

Best Regards,

James
=====