:: Re: [DNG] discussions in Debian to …
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] discussions in Debian to retire ifupdown and about a default network management tool
Le 22/10/2024 à 19:33, Adrian Zaugg a écrit :
> Hi
>
> By chance I found an article on LWN [1] yesterday about discussions going on
> in Debian to retire ifupdown and what network management tools should or could
> replace it. It might be of interest to Devuan since we will be affected in one
> or another way by the outcome of this discussion.
>
> My personal opinion is clear against a software that has as many dependencies
> as network-manager. If ifupdown will be abandoned, the logical successor would
> be ifupdown-ng, I think. Having seen its syntax for /etc/network/interfaces it
> seems as easy as ifupdown2 (and I ask myself why I have never tried it
> before).
>
> The suggestion to use systemd-networkd must not be discussed here for well
> known reasons, and about conman I don't know whether it supports such
> constructs as a VLAN-tagged bridge over bonded interfaces and such. However,
> maybe Devuan should chime in the discussion before Debian takes another turn
> in the wrong direction.
>
> Regards, Adrian.
>

> [1] https://lwn.net/Articles/989055/

    ifupdown has been there for decades. It is complicated but I
eventually understood how to tailor it to my needs. It is not
maintained, so what? The major consequence of the absence of maintenance
is the absence of new bugs. I don't see a good reason to remove it from
the repository, except to force yet a little more systemd's ubiquity.
Actually, yes, there is some maintenance work to do: rebuild it from
source for every new version of gcc. It doesn't seem very much.

    -- Didier