:: [DNG] discussions in Debian to reti…
Author: Adrian Zaugg
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] discussions in Debian to retire ifupdown and about a default network management tool
Hi

By chance I found an article on LWN [1] yesterday about discussions going on
in Debian to retire ifupdown and what network management tools should or could
replace it. It might be of interest to Devuan since we will be affected in one
or another way by the outcome of this discussion.

My personal opinion is clear against a software that has as many dependencies
as network-manager. If ifupdown will be abandoned, the logical successor would
be ifupdown-ng, I think. Having seen its syntax for /etc/network/interfaces it
seems as easy as ifupdown2 (and I ask myself why I have never tried it
before).

The suggestion to use systemd-networkd must not be discussed here for well
known reasons, and about conman I don't know whether it supports such
constructs as a VLAN-tagged bridge over bonded interfaces and such. However,
maybe Devuan should chime in the discussion before Debian takes another turn
in the wrong direction.

Regards, Adrian.

[1] https://lwn.net/Articles/989055/