:: Re: [DNG] discussions in Debian to …
Author: dvalin
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] discussions in Debian to retire ifupdown and about a default network management tool
On 22.10.24 19:33, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

> My personal opinion is clear against a software that has as many dependencies

> as network-manager.

Network-munger is the very first thing I nuke if present - it usually has

to be done immediately on install, just to get networking working in the

first place.

> If ifupdown will be abandoned, the logical successor would

> be ifupdown-ng, I think. Having seen its syntax for /etc/network/interfaces it

> seems as easy as ifupdown2 (and I ask myself why I have never tried it

> before).

If ifupdown disappears upstream, then simply restoring it in Devuan

would be very attractive. If ifupdown-ng becomes the most similar

existing substitute, then we might have to read the release notes.

> The suggestion to use systemd-networkd must not be discussed here for well

> known reasons, and about conman I don't know whether it supports such

> constructs as a VLAN-tagged bridge over bonded interfaces and such. However,

> maybe Devuan should chime in the discussion before Debian takes another turn

> in the wrong direction.

Plugging a dropped *nix tool back in does not seem a life-threatening

exercise, but when the black hole Systemdix-ing of Debian becomes too

intense, then it's time to move on, I figure. (Preferably a new upstream

for Devuan, but in extremis, a quick saddle-hop to BSD or similar. That

seems beyond the reach of the sabotaging poetterware agents.)

Erik