:: Re: [DNG] CUPS and Canon LBP series…
Author: Nick
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] CUPS and Canon LBP series network printers (CAPS)
On 08-10-2024 17:34, Johan Helsingius via Dng wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Has anyone gotten a Canon LBP series laser printer
> to work on Daedalus?
>
> I have a Canon LBP7210Cdn network laser printer that talks
> USB and apparently AppSocket / HP JetDirect (as it listens
> to port 9100).
>
> I somehow got it to work with CUPS 2-3 years ago, but of
> course I didn't document the magic incantations I went
> trough.
>
> Now I had to reinstall my OS (either my kernel got
> corrupted or I got hit by the cups-browsed exploit
> as suddenly shell startup took forever, and ps / top
> stopped working).
>
> Anyway, no matter what I do I can't get CUPS to work
> with the printer. Tried the stuff from the Canon website,
> tried other stuff, both network and USB, but no cigar.
>
> Any hints, pointers or advice greatly appreciated!
>
>     Julf

Installing a Canon printer has been a while ago but I know that I used
the Canon CAPT Printer Driver for Linux. The latest version I see is
named linux-capt-drv-v271-uken.tar.gz and has a deb package for 32 and
64 bit driver. AFAIK this driver does do the communication with the
printer in the same way as printers with the windows printing system.
Make sure that the daemon is running before printing. (And read the
manual from the archive)