:: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why C/C++ ?
o1bigtenor via Dng said on Thu, 22 Aug 2024 05:51:17 -0500

>On Wed, Aug 21, 2024 at 11:57 PM Steve Litt <slitt@???>
>wrote:
>
>> o1bigtenor via Dng said on Wed, 21 Aug 2024 11:09:19 -0500
>>

>> >Except I just want to get the job done - - - I don't want to learn
>> >things which give me perhaps umpteen different way to "blow my own
>> >leg off" !!!!!!!!
>>
>> Then Python is your dream language for anything that either has a
>> short run time or whose bottleneck is user input.
>>
>> Hmmmmmmm - - - so you're suggesting that Python doesn't do runtime
>> in
>applications - - ie processes where time is measured in days or months?

Depends. If it's an interactive program that waits for user input and
then takes a second to respond, Python's fine. If you're talking about
a long, huge data transformation, you need an efficient compiled
language for that. I use C for those kind of things, but with C you
need to correctly malloc() and free() all heap variables, create arrays
with a constant and refer to that constant as a limit whenever
accessing the array, initialize all pointers, and like all other
languages, sanitize inputs.

If you don't want C, you could use Rust, ADA, Go, GNU Cobol, Harbour,
etc.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com