:: Re: [DNG] Why MVC: was Why C/C++ ?
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Mike Schmitz
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Why MVC: was Why C/C++ ?
Hi,

Mike Schmitz via Dng <dng@???> writes:

> On Thu, Aug 15, 2024 at 03:37:18PM -0400, Steve Litt wrote:
>> Andrzej Peszynski said on Wed, 14 Aug 2024 23:54:54 +0200
>>
>> >3. Web/DB applications, simplified abstractions, MVC - PHP and JS
>> >family.
>>
>> Am I the only one who things MVC is absolute bullshit, where everyone
>> has different definitions of it and everyone cheats on the definition?
>
> no
>
>> And the words themselves: What the hell do Model, View and Controller
>> even mean? If they'd split it into Database, UI, and Logic it would
>> have been a hell of a lot easier to understand.
>
> But that would be DUL ;-)

You beat me to that one ;-)

> I've always translated MVC to that in my head when I read it.

But I beg to differ on the DB, UI and Logic "abstractions". While
appropriate in some cases, the Model, View and Controller abstractions
are on a higher level and continue to work even when your application
does not need/use a database, e.g. Point or Currency, needs to present
information without any user interaction, e.g. text/plain, HTML or PDF,
and where inputs are not associated with any logic besides updating a
View of a changed Model instance.

Hope this helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen