:: [DNG] Soundsystem occaionally avail…
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] Soundsystem occaionally available after upgrade to Daedalus
On Sun, Aug 11, 2024 at 08:52:59PM -0400, Hendrik Boom wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 07:32:31PM +0200, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
> > Thanks to all that replied. I think I was unclear with my description:
> >
> > - There is sound from VLC, Audacity, MuseScore and others.
> > - The problem is that I can't chose an Output in KDE Sound Settings, only
> > internal speakers work (but not e.g. headphones on the mini jack):
> > The list of output devices is just empty.
> Having the same problem --the list of output devices is empty.
> But to my knowledge I'm not using KDE; I'm using lxqt.
> And I'm not using HDMI. I'm using a external USB plug-in audio interface.
> So everything seems to be different, but I still see no audio output devices.
> There were some last week, but I had to reboot my laptop,
> and now there are none.
> I was trying to get a voice conversation going over discord within
> firfoxc-esr. Worked last week under daedalus. Did not work this week
> under daedalus.

The pulseaudio volume control showed no output audio devices except for
the dummy device. The metre on the dummy device showed that audio signals
were indeed getting to the dummy device, which of course did not produce
any hearable sound.

So I figured. Problem appeared after I took my laptop to a
remote site and back again. That involved unpluggig the USB sound system,
booting the machine at tha remote site, using it, shutting down, bringing
it home and rebooting. After reconnecting the USB sound system and
rebooting, there was no audio.

After trying various things and being frustrated for a few days and using a wired telephone
for one online meeting I thought, let's try rebooting again.

I rebooted, and suddenly everything works.

So it looks as if for some reason the USB (already plugged in) audio output
device is sometimes recognised at boot and available thereafter, and other
times not so recognised or otherwise not available thereafter.

-- hendrik