:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: Peter Duffy
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
My first exposure to python was when I was helping to set up the ISP
Netline (aka Supanet, aka Internexus). We were trying to install (pre-
enterprise and still free) Red Hat 5.2 on a bunch of new 4U servers
that we'd just bought: the installation froze without giving any
information as to what was wrong.

The installer on Red Hat and derivatives is a program called anaconda,
which is written in python: in the case of RH5.2, it was about 7K lines
of code. I took on the task of trying to figure out the problem. I
found the bit of code where the error was apparently happening, and
inserted a line to print out a relevant variable. The python compiler
refused it, saying that the whitespace at the start of the line was
incorrect. At that point, the code was deeply nested. For about two
days solid, I tried to get the python compiler to accept the additional
line. I tried every permutation of whitespace characters that I could
think of, but no joy. It was one of the most infuriating and ridiculous
experiences in my entire IT career. Eventually some clues elsewhere led
me to realise what was wrong (faulty ACPI code in the BIOS, which was
giving a hardware type which anaconda didn't understand: it was fairly
easy to work around, and a few weeks later, the manufacturer released a
BIOS update which fixed the problem).

That experience put me off python for life. I use it when I absolutely
have to (as when I modified walinuxagent so that devuan would work in
Azure). But only then.