:: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running i…
Author: Joel Roth
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Help needed - - running into issues with python and its tools
On Tue, Aug 06, 2024 at 11:26:48AM -0500, o1bigtenor via Dng wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 6, 2024 at 10:06 AM Dan Purgert via Dng <dng@???>

> > Most people would use c++ by virtue of approaching this with the
> > "Arduino" ecosystem. As with most any other microcontroller though; one
> > can use C (or assembly) if they so choose (but it might include other
> > hurdles in the toolchain / environment).
>
> Well - - - I'm pretty much a programming noob and I'd rather learn 1 (!!)
> ecosystem well than dabble around in a few and use only cut and paste for
> programming otherwise c would be the way to go. Had a long time mentor,
> now deceased, suggest that python was a pretty good option for learning
> programming - - that was although he himself prefered pearl.

Usually it's easier to go with what everyone else is using.
I haven't seen the micropython docs, how micropython interfaces
with the ESP8266, but the reference manual shows examples
in C(1).

You won't need much C smarts to compile and test
these examples. And probably you'll want to learn
the basics some time anyway.

If you think your mentor's preference might have some merit
for you, perl nowadays offers an easy way to interface with C.(2)
And perl syntax is broadly similar to C.

It's still two things, tho. In the following code, a
function is defined in a snippet of C, then called from
perl.

    use Inline C => <<'...';

    void greet() {
      printf("Hello, world\n");