:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Hi Charles.

ashigaru53--- via Dng - 14.07.24, 21:17:13 CEST:
> Martin, Steve,
> Sorry for bringing up the initial question.

No need to be sorry about that.

> TL;DR
> So you both got me to pondering KDE/Plasma Desktop loads etc, etc, etc.
> I remembered I had an old lenovo thinkcentre M-93 that I had installed
> MX linux on for the wife sometime back. (she likes her laptop instead)
>
> I also installed plasma desktop 5.2xxx at the time. So I pulled it out
> for some experiments. Updated and off to test. Here are some specs.
> Attached is the whole machine specs as a file for reference.

So it is still running MX Linux?

> ** At idle no apps running cpu = 2-3%

Well that is what I have written. An idle Plasma desktop is idle unless
either Akonadi is doing something or Baloo is indexing files.

Thanks for confirmation.

> Add firefox no browsing cpu = 6-8%
> Add 2 different open webpages = 11-13%
> Add Libreoffice writer and start word processing cpu = 2%
> Open second firefox browser and stream 1 youtube video cpu = 28-32%
> Stream 2 youtube videos at same time cpu = 30-45%
> Add Thunderbird cpu = 13-27%
> Idling with apps open cpu = 2-5%
>
> This is respective of my personal useage.
> So several things I noticed with this build, although a lot of K-apps
> are installed:
>
> - Akonadi is not installed

Really?

> - Nepomuk not installed

As written before Nepomuk is long gone. There is no Nepomuk in Plasma or
KDE Gear 5.

> - Baloo is not installed

Interesting.

> - Kmail works without Akonadi or pulling Akonadi in. I started it but
> didn't set it up as I normally just use thunderbird - cpu useage isn't
> necessarily additive as more apps are opened.

I cannot really believe that. KMail starting from KDE SC 4 *needs*
Akonadi.

So when they have KMail running without it… what version of KMail would
that be? One very old one from KDE 3 oder the KDE 3 based one from the
Trinity project? Is Akonadi really not running?

What does "akonadictl status" say?

> So maybe they have changed a few things since I used it last? I don't
> know how it is all incorporated but it is similar to Void and Devuan
> only in the fact that systemd is not default init. So a possible low
> resource hungry desktop for those who like KDE?

That is what I have written all along. Plasma can be used on many older
computers just fine. However your ThinkCentre is not actually low spec. 16
GiB of RAM is plenty.

Maybe a good idea to see what those MX Linux developers are doing there.
Also again an opportunity to work together.

Best,
--
Martin