:: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] KDE Desktop Question
Steve Litt - 14.07.24, 09:30:04 CEST:
> Martin Steigerwald said on Sat, 13 Jul 2024 12:54:24 +0200
> >Steve Litt - 11.07.24, 04:05:50 CEST:
> >> In the early 00's my old, poorly provisioned and glitchy travelling
> >> mid-tower used KDE and could not make it the whole way through a
> >> demonstration or presentation. I replaced KDE with IceWM and it
> >> became a very capable machine.
> >
> >And thus you concluded its all KDE's fault, instead of actually
> >looking at the poorly provisioned and glitchy bits of the mid-tower?
>
> Correct! And here's why:
>
> The poorly provisioned and glitchy mid-tower was what I could afford at
> the time. I got an extra year of life out of this miserable machine by
> switching from KDE to IceWM. A savings of $300.00. At the time I was
> the sole support of a family of 5 and was saving for our
> triplets'college education.

Ok, fair enough.

Still relating to what else I wrote in my longer mail: I bet that mid-
tower would have just worked with a Plasma 5 setup as I described, i.e.
basically empty Akonadi with SQLite3 database and Baloo either switched off
or just indexing filenames.

Early KDE SC 4 had indeed parts that were resource hogs. I agree with
that. Not not all of KDE based software is. Far from it.

> :-) But of course you correctly pointed out that the technological root
> cause was my krappy komputer. Switching from KDE to IceWM (temporarily)
> fixed the symptom but left the root cause standing.

Indeed.

Again I am just pointing out that things often are not as clear cut either
this or that.

> I thought long and hard about this while I was swimming today and
> realize it's a a perfect showcase for the philosophy I've been
> developing since 1968, when I was 18 years old. A philosophy that
> sprang from bicycles, of all things. I'll try to write about this
> philosophy tomorrow.

There is nothing wrong with having software that works on older or
underpowered computers. And actually I think a minimal Plasma desktop
setup could be used on a lot of those computers. Of course one can go also
with LXQt or an icewm based desktop.

Fortunately we still have that freedom to choose.

Best,
--
Martin