:: Re: [DNG] Broadcom WiFi
Author: Steve Litt
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Broadcom WiFi
Joel Roth via Dng said on Thu, 11 Jul 2024 09:56:50 -1000

>Hi Vernon,
>
>Great that the live cd gets a wireless connection.
>
>I'm using a broadcom wifi adapter with the b43 driver. I
>used the steps you mention.
>
>$ lspci -nn | grep 14e4
>
>02:00.0 Network controller [0280]: Broadcom Inc. and subsidiaries
>BCM43228 802.11a/b/g/n [14e4:4359]

[snip diagnostic output]

>Hope you find a solution.

My solution to Broadcom wifi, especially that awful b43 stuff, was to
buy a USB wifi dongle. Once in a while I could get my (Mandrake) laptop
to wifi, but then an update would break it and I'd have to put in many
more days of trial and error. Even though dongles don't operate nearly
as well as a builtin with the antenna wrapped around the screen, I used
dongles.

By the way, what REALLY worked well for me was to use a travel router
that converted wifi into wired Ethernet that plugged into my Ethernet
RJ45 (assuming your laptop still has one of these).

Broadcom is to wifi what nVidea is to video.

Good luck, which ever way you solve the problem.

SteveT

Steve Litt

http://444domains.com