:: Re: [DNG] Max Load Average
Author: Syeed Ali
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Max Load Average
On Mon, 8 Jul 2024 08:55:29 +0200
Didier Kryn <kryn@???> wrote:

>     Maybe also insert some sleeping to reduce cpu load at the cost
> of real time, and run overnight.

If there's no other significant use, then it's also possible to kee the
cpu cool like so:

cpufreq-set --cpu "$processor_number" --governor powersave

To return it to normal, do: --governor ondemand

hardinfo will prove that this setting has changed.

I wonder if it's possible/reasonable to only act on some of the
processors so keep reasonable user-use.

I further wonder if it's possible to have intensive processes dedicated
to specific cores/threads/whatever. nice doesn't seem correct. Maybe
fiddling with the scheduler?

Notably ionice might also be useful for strained systems. I remember
using that during backups. Oh the days of spinning rust.

This all might be useful for people with unusual requirements or dusty
fans.