:: Re: [DNG] Max Load Average
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Max Load Average
nisp1953 via Dng - 08.07.24, 06:21:53 CEST:
> Steve Litt - 07.07.24, 12:10:00 CEST:
> > > Except that laptops are usually inefficient at disbursing heat, so
> > > spending a lot of time with highly loaded CPUs can reduce the life
> > > of the machine.
>
> Thanks folks:
>
> For clarity I was using Xmaxima and summing series up to 1,000,000
> terms. I won't do that again.

Again without warranties: But as written… a load average of 5 even when it
is indeed computational will not break any good laptop. Would I run it for
a week without need? No. But for some hours or even a day or two? If its
something that helps me to learn something, I would. Or for example a
video encode. I had such running for 1-2 days at times.

In case your laptop has been struggling to keep itself cold enough to
sustain the load, I'd either service it myself or bring it to service.
Dust removal from fan for me so far has been enough. So I did not need to
replace a fan. However… this could also become necessary. Cause when it
struggles under such a light (!)¹ workload it will likely be warmer than
necessary on other workloads or even during idling as well.

Okay, but I now stop repeating myself. Refer to my older posts.

[1] Just utilizing 100% of a CPU is a light workload. Heavy it gets when
you also utilize flash or especially a dedicated or integrated GPU.
*At the same time*.

--
Martin