:: Re: [DNG] Plotters for Devuan Daeda…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: terryc
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Plotters for Devuan Daedalus 5.0
On Sat, 6 Jul 2024 12:57:10 -0600
nisp1953 via Dng <dng@???> wrote:

> Hi Folks:

> Devuan is working great; thanks very much. I need to get a plotter for
> printing sewing patterns.

The jargon these days is Large Format Printer. Pen plotters,which would
be ideal for drafting/printing sewing patterns started to disappear around the
time of early Linux. Sadly. Also the project to create a HPGL driver for Linux didn't come about.

> I can't seem to find any information
> specific to Linux. At least a Web search didn't turn up much that is
> specific to Linux.

Basically most printers just work under Linux.

> The plotter will be used to print up sewing patterns that are a
> maximum width of 36 inches (almost a meter wide)
>
> * should I get an ink pen or ink jet plotter?

As I understand it all printers are raster (inkjet/laser) printers.
The only vector driven stuff I know of are industrial cutting machines.

> * Should I get a flatbed or a drum plotter?

Generally they are flatbed as the bulk of media(paper, film , etc) comes as cut sheets. There might be printers with roll feed which is generally about space.

> * What brands of plotters work best with Devuan?
>
> I'm Looking at https://www.cups.org/index.html but not finding a list
> of compatible plotters.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.

Without further details,the suggestion totake a postscript file to a local service offering large format printing is probably the easiest solution .