:: Re: [DNG] Plotters for Devuan Daeda…
Kezdőlap
Szerző: Fred
Dátum:
Címzett: dng
Tárgy: Re: [DNG] Plotters for Devuan Daedalus 5.0
On 7/6/24 11:57, nisp1953 via Dng wrote:
> Hi Folks:
>
> I am using:
> uname -a
> Linux devuan 6.1.0-21-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Debian 6.1.90-1
> (2024-05-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux
> on a Lenovo T480S Thinkpad
>
> Devuan is working great; thanks very much. I need to get a plotter for
> printing sewing patterns. I can't seem to find any information
> specific to Linux. At least a Web search didn't turn up much that is
> specific to Linux.
>
> The plotter will be used to print up sewing patterns that are a
> maximum width of 36 inches (almost a meter wide)
>
> * should I get an ink pen or ink jet plotter?
> * Should I get a flatbed or a drum plotter?
> * What brands of plotters work best with Devuan?
>
> I'm Looking at https://www.cups.org/index.html but not finding a list
> of compatible plotters.
>
> Any advice would be appreciated.
>
> --
> Kind regards,
> Jonathan

Hi,

HP used to make excellent plotters. You can likely find lots of used
ones on ebay.

Most plotters accept data as HPGL. Newer ones may accept Postscript.

The problem with all plotters is that they are more or less production
devices. If you don't use them frequently the ink dries up. Ink
cartridges are hard to find. Plotter pens are often already dried up
when you get them.

There are large format laser printers that are quite expensive to buy
and maintain.

You would probably best use a local printing service. They usually have
very large laser plotters/printers. The local Officemax store had large
format printers.

Best regards,
Fred