:: [DNG] runit on Devuan
Author: Hendrik Boom
To: dng
Subject: [DNG] runit on Devuan
On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 08:42:35AM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> Simon Walter - 27.06.24, 05:31:59 CEST:
> > On 2024-06-19 16:33, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/33349
> >
> > It would be interesting to compare the number of disastrous bugs per
> > FOSS project. I think systemd would win. It would take a corporation to
> > make that possible.
> >
> > This "feature" is something I would expect on a "smart" phone, but of
> > course, with all the warnings and confirmations.
> >
> > I wonder how many bullets I've dodged with Devuan...
>
> Yeah. Especially with my Runit based setups. Runit is totally predictable
> and I love that. However… since most energy is focused on making things
> work with Systemd, my Runit based setups are much less well tested and
> supported.
>
> I copied over my Devuan installation from a ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1 to a
> Gen 5. It worked out of the box. However… for some strange reason many
> DBUS services are not started automatically. For now I started them
> manually, but I need to investigate this. DBUS services were started just
> fine with the Gen 1.

So ... how did you originally install that runit system?
Did the Devuan installer just let you choose runit and
everything went smoothly?
Did you install with the usual sysvinit and convert afterward?

How good is the runit support in Devuan? Does it have runit's
PID 1 but defer to existing sysvinit scripts for many of the
service directories? Is the sysvinit service supervisor started
as a runit service?

How easy is it to move *completely* from a Devuan sysvinit
system to an entirely runit-based one?

-- hendrik