:: Re: [DNG] Yeah, what can even poss…
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] runit on Devuan
Subject: Re: [DNG] Yeah, what can even possibly go wrong? Deleting /home can go wrong! (was: Re: Views of systemd on TUHS list)
Simon Walter - 27.06.24, 05:31:59 CEST:
> On 2024-06-19 16:33, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/33349
>
> It would be interesting to compare the number of disastrous bugs per
> FOSS project. I think systemd would win. It would take a corporation to
> make that possible.
>
> This "feature" is something I would expect on a "smart" phone, but of
> course, with all the warnings and confirmations.
>
> I wonder how many bullets I've dodged with Devuan...

Yeah. Especially with my Runit based setups. Runit is totally predictable
and I love that. However… since most energy is focused on making things
work with Systemd, my Runit based setups are much less well tested and
supported.

I copied over my Devuan installation from a ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1 to a
Gen 5. It worked out of the box. However… for some strange reason many
DBUS services are not started automatically. For now I started them
manually, but I need to investigate this. DBUS services were started just
fine with the Gen 1.

A fully supported Runit setup with lots of people behind it and using it
would be lots more stable. But within Devuan / Debian the people
developing for Runit are few. There are a bit more testers, but there
aren't many either.

That is the real damage of Systemd. They obliterated the alternatives in a
way that makes it much more difficult to support them properly. Maybe Void
Linux, who just focuses on Runit instead of trying to support multiple
init systems is better off. Did not test yet.

I am planning to report the DBUS services issue and help to eventually get
it fixed.

Best,
--
Martin