:: Re: [DNG] runit on Devuan
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Incus (was: runit on Devuan)
Subject: Re: [DNG] runit on Devuan
Hendrik Boom - 27.06.24, 16:30:29 CEST:
> On Thu, Jun 27, 2024 at 08:42:35AM +0200, Martin Steigerwald wrote:
> > Simon Walter - 27.06.24, 05:31:59 CEST:
> > > On 2024-06-19 16:33, Martin Steigerwald wrote:

[…]
> > > I wonder how many bullets I've dodged with Devuan...
> >
> > Yeah. Especially with my Runit based setups. Runit is totally
> > predictable and I love that. However… since most energy is focused on
> > making things work with Systemd, my Runit based setups are much less
> > well tested and supported.
> >
> > I copied over my Devuan installation from a ThinkPad T14 AMD Gen 1 to
> > a Gen 5. It worked out of the box. However… for some strange reason
> > many DBUS services are not started automatically. For now I started
> > them manually, but I need to investigate this. DBUS services were
> > started just fine with the Gen 1.

Regarding those DBUS services: I am happy I did not yet do a bug report.
It was entirely my fault. I did rsync between my old system and a GRML
live Linux and I did so without the option "--numeric-ids". Despite me
knowing about it. Two directories inside "/etc/polkit-1" were owned by the
wrong user then, namely "localauthority" and "rules.d". Polkitd could not
read the rules and configuration in there and thus refused permission to
DBUS to start those DBUS services. I redid the rsync with "--numeric-ids"
added and redid all the changes I did so far.

Now all DBUS services are started just fine as on the old system.

So absolutely no problem there.

> So ... how did you originally install that runit system?
> Did the Devuan installer just let you choose runit and
> everything went smoothly?
> Did you install with the usual sysvinit and convert afterward?

Yes, for the desktop systems and new server systems I did just choose
runit as init in Devuan installer.

> How good is the runit support in Devuan? Does it have runit's
> PID 1 but defer to existing sysvinit scripts for many of the
> service directories? Is the sysvinit service supervisor started
> as a runit service?

Some services like SSH have their own service dir template. But I only saw
this in "openssh-server" package so far. The package "runit-services" has
other service dir template. On a server I created a service dir template
for Incus. I intend to ask the maintainer of the Debian package for Incus
whether they like to include it. Then I'd either to a merge request for
Incus or runit-services, depending on the answer.

> How easy is it to move *completely* from a Devuan sysvinit
> system to an entirely runit-based one?

Moving was easy enough back then. But it was a long time ago since I last
migrated a system from Sysvinit to Runit. All new systems I installed with
Runit to begin with. So I don't recall the details. I think I basically
just installed the "runit-init" package. But I do not recall exactly.

Best,
--
Martin