:: Re: [DNG] Yeah, I'm angry
Author: sawbona
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Yeah, I'm angry
Hello:

@Simon Walter

Just to clear things up a bit, lest my text continue to be
mis-interpreted.

On 27 Jun 2024 at 5:20, Simon Walter wrote:

> ... maybe you have evidence of a sellout?
> ... Who on the deb tech committee got paid under the table?

I do not need to provide you with any evidence or name anyone.
Basically, because your taking my words ...

ie:
"There is a lot of moolah behind making systemd the de-facto init for
the Linux ecosystem."

... as an accusation against the "deb tech committee" of getting
"paid under the table" is stretching things a bit too much, giving
them a meaning (and intention) that they *do not* have.

And I take exception to your doing so.

For your benefit, it would seem that a simpler (albeit longer)
statement is needed:

Microsoft is arguably one of the most powerful corporations in IT
today, having managed to muscle into the desktop market decades ago,
a market in which it rules today, not precisely by *playing nice*.

If you need any background on that, check the search engine of your
choice for "Microsoft" +"wintel"/"EEE"/"browser wars"/java", etc.

As such, it has historically/openly been against open source software
in general and specifically against Linux for the past 30+ years.

Again, check any search engine for "Microsoft" +"Linux"+"cancer".

Not being able to do away with Linux with its usual predatory
practises, Microsoft eventually decided to do an about-face and start
doing what it has done many other times before: resort to its well
known "EEE" strategy.

This time, associated to IBM/RedHat, it is doing just that.

More or less at the same time, Poettering's systemd ended up voted
into the Debian distribution by means of a process which has been
discussed/analysed to death, being described (by most if not all
accounts) as flawed, to say the least.

Today Microsoft/IBM/RedHat (powerful corporations with deep pockets
and strong motivations) are the main forces pushing systemd to be the
de-facto init for Debian.

As as a result, Debian stopped considering sysvinit a supported
configuration quite some time ago, forcing smaller Debian based
distributions to follow in order to survive.

In my opinion, unless something important happens, Debian will
eventually cease to exist as we knew/know it and morph into a systemd
run monolithic monster.

Full of inaccessible "black boxes" and unreadable/inexistent logs,
like any *other* Microsoft OS.

In the end Debian will be nothing but collateral damage: the trojan
horse used to spread the systemd virus to burn down the entire Linux
ecosystem with it.

How much money (the *moolah* behind systemd I made reference to) do
you think is being spent by the corporations involved to achieve
that?

Hoping to have made myself clear, I was wondering ...

Do you think that the similarities between how the MS registry and
systemd work are just an incredible coincidence?

Best,

A.