:: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Αρχική Σελίδα
Συντάκτης: Martin Steigerwald
Ημερομηνία:
Προς: dng
Αντικείμενο: Re: [DNG] Backup methods for Devuan
Martin Steigerwald - 26.05.24, 17:49:11 CEST:
> nisp1953 via Dng - 25.05.24, 20:07:55 CEST:
> > I recently installed Devuan Daedalus 5.0 and it is working great.
> > Thanks very much. I need advice on ways to backup my /home user
> > account. I have been using tar but I am hoping the list can advise me
> > of a better backup method or Debian (Devuan) package that I can use.
> > I'd prefer something that does incremental backups.
>
> I'd recommend either borgbackup or resticbackup. There are compressing,
> deduplicating (on the block level) and optionally client-side
> encrypting.

One little addition: I do not see a need for incremental backups with
block based (borgbackup, resticbackup, Proxmox Backup Server and others)
or even file based (rsync and others) deduplication. With deduplication you
can just restore any stored previous state directly without first restoring
a full backup and then the incremental backups on top of it.

Another advantage of rsync would be: You have the completely directory
tree of any backup readily available. It is very easy to restore an
individual file. You can do that with borgbackup, resticbackup and Proxmox
Backup Server as well, but there you have to mount the desired backup via
their tools and rely that they will find all the data again. That should
work well and reliable. However with rsync the data is just within plain
sight without any indirection.

--
Martin