:: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
Author: Martin Steigerwald
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What is an init system?
altoid via Dng - 16.05.24, 13:35:07 CEST:
> We must not lose sight of the fact that this is *not* happening
> (primarily) to rid the Linux ecosystem of Devuan per se.
>
> ie: it isn't about Debian wanting to kill Devuan, it is about Debian
> being infiltrated and taken over by MS/IBM/RH.

Add to that the re-introduction of proprietary software with Microsoft 365
and you get an idea where they like to have this go. A simple "host" on
various domains reveals who is using Microsoft 365 nowadays.

If you cannot sell proprietary software like before anymore, just put
everything into the cloud. Then you take it out of the hands of the users
just like you did before. Or wait… even more so than before.

If you ask me what this boils down to it is this:

Power play.

It is not even about money anymore.

It is about control.

And it is about who is in charge.

They want to be.

But in the end it will back fire.

There are still enough people who are not taking it.

The introduction of Systemd into Debian was also about power play.

Lennart may believe as much as he says in Systemd and other stuff he
created. But as I observed he has been quite successful into manipulating
others. From what I perceived I'd conclude it is in his personality. But
it also was not just Lennart.

I also see an interesting pattern with company buyouts:

1. Oracle bought Sun. What for? In hindsight I would conclude: To destroy
it. They basically destroyed everything Sun was about, except maybe ZFS.
OpenOffice.org => gone, forked as LibreOffice. Excellent Sun hardware => gone.
Solaris => gone. MySQL => forked as MariaDB. Did they even buy Sun with
the aim of destroying it one could wonder? Do they actually use anything
Sun stood for today within Oracle? Except maybe ZFS? But do they actually
use ZFS or BTRFS, which Chris Mason invented as he worked for Oracle back
then, partly based on ReiserFS 3?

2. IBM bought Red Hat and basically destroyed CentOS. They also made life
difficult for Rocky, Alma and Oracle Linux basically inspiring a cooperation
between Rocky, SUSE and others.

3. Broadcom bought VMware. To destroy it? It appears like so at the
moment. But we will see.

What is going on there?

It can't really be (just) about money, can it?

Is it about control?

Is it about who is in charge?

Cui bono? Who's benefit is it? And what is the benefit we are talking about?

--
Martin