:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- vers…
Author: al3xu5
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- versions? dhcp? unbound?
Sun, 5 May 2024 22:26:13 +0200 - aitor <aitor_czr@???>:

> Hi again,
>
> On 30/4/24 19:42, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> > Yes... I had /etc/network/interfaces with:
> >
> > auto eth0
> > allow-hotplug eth0
> > iface eth0 inet dhcp
> >
> > But dhcpcd refuse to start with this error:
> >
> > Not running dhcpcd because /etc/network/interfaces ... failed!
> > defines some interfaces that will use a DHCP client ... failed!
> >
> > So I have this problem: if /etc/network/interfaces is empty (without eth0)
> > then dhcpcd works, and if I set `iface eth0 inet dhcp` then dhcpcd doesn't
> > start and simple-netaid (ifdown) cannot manage the eth0 interface...
> >
> > I wouldn't know how to handle it...
> >
> > Maybe I should disable the dhcpcd service? What else?
>
> Nope.
>
> For some reason dhcpcd disables itself if it finds something in
> /etc/network/interfaces, but it's fine if you move those declarations to
> another file within the folder /etc/network/interfaces.d. Of course, you
> should keep the first line of /etc/network/interfaces therein, that is:
>
> source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*

Apt-installed simple-netaid-gtk2, version 1.0.7 (please note the interface
says 1.0.5).
Using dhcpcd.
I have moved eth0 declarations within the folder
/etc/network/interfaces.d, but still seems something is not working properly
with simple-netaid-gtk2:
- eth0 icon is grayed
- when disconnecting eth0:
    -- the status change to 'disconnected' just for 1-2 seconds, then
    come back to 'connected to eth0'
    -- the 'ifdown: interface eth0 not configured' message appears

From what I understand by studying a bit, ifdown and dhcpcd don't love each
other: ifdown leans on /etc/network/interfaces & /etc/network/interfaces.d
definitions, dhcpcd prefer no /etc/network/interfaces and leans only on its
configuration file where it expects there are interface definitions...

Since there is this conflict between ifdown and dhcpcd, and since that it
looks like dhcpcd will be become some kind of de-facto standard (replacing
isc-dhcp-client), may I suggest (hoping not to be too stupid) managing the
interfaces using ip or ipconfig (which should not conflict with
/etc/network/interfaces) instead of ifdown?

Thank you a lot.

Reagards
alexus

--
The only way humans have learned to survive brings them to extinction.
Public GPG/PGP key: 8FC2 3121 2803 86E9 F7D8 B624 DA50 835B 2624 A36B