:: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- vers…
Author: aitor
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] simple-netaid-gtk -- versions? dhcp? unbound?
Hi,

On 6/5/24 11:32, al3xu5 via Dng wrote:
> Apt-installed simple-netaid-gtk2, version 1.0.7 (please note the interface
> says 1.0.5).

You are right. I forgot to update the content in the dialog. Thanks.

> Using dhcpcd.
> I have moved eth0 declarations within the folder
> /etc/network/interfaces.d, but still seems something is not working properly
> with simple-netaid-gtk2:
> - eth0 icon is grayed
> - when disconnecting eth0:
>     -- the status change to 'disconnected' just for 1-2 seconds, then
>     come back to 'connected to eth0'
>     -- the 'ifdown: interface eth0 not configured' message appears

I'm not experiencing anything like that. Yesterday I installed devuan daedalus from the netinstall iso image,
and did the following configurations:

- Define the declarations in /etc/network/interfaces.d/interfaces (the name of this file doesn't matter)
for wired and wireless devices by means of their names given by ifconfig

- Put the line "source /etc/network/interfaces.d/*" in /etc/network/interfaces

- Be sure that the names used in the previous configuration match the names given to the network devices in
/etc/simple-netaid/gtk.ini. Simple-netaid only manages one wired device and one wireless device so far.

- Be sure that you have only one dhcp client installed, either dhcpcd5 or isc-dhcp-client or udchcpc
(I tried having both dhcpcd5 and isc-dhcp-client and wired connections failed for me; wireless connections
worked though)

- In runit, keep dhcpcd normally downed, as explained in a previous email, by putting a regular file named
"down" in /etc/sv/dhcpcd

- Add yourself to the netaid group via: "usermod -aG netaid <username>". Version 1.0.7 of simple-netaid will
verify whether or not netaid group is assigned to the current user account. If not, it will show a warning dialog.

I also tested simple-netaid having network-manager installed and It worked as well. As long as you have
declarations in /etc/network/interfaces, network-manager will do nothing but showing its buggy status icon.

I think there is something on top of dhcpcd that is in conflict with ifupdown. But I don't know what it is.
Are you sure that isc-dhcp-client was uninstalled in your system? I do not recommend to use it together with dhcpd/udhcpcd.

> From what I understand by studying a bit, ifdown and dhcpcd don't love each
> other:

Ifupdown is developed with dhcpcd in mind. Look at the lines 78-122:

https://salsa.debian.org/debian/ifupdown/-/blob/master/inet.defn?ref_type=heads

> ifdown leans on /etc/network/interfaces & /etc/network/interfaces.d
> definitions, dhcpcd prefer no /etc/network/interfaces and leans only on its
> configuration file where it expects there are interface definitions...
>
> Since there is this conflict between ifdown and dhcpcd, and since that it
> looks like dhcpcd will be become some kind of de-facto standard (replacing
> isc-dhcp-client), may I suggest (hoping not to be too stupid) managing the
> interfaces using ip or ipconfig (which should not conflict with
> /etc/network/interfaces) instead of ifdown?
>
> Thank you a lot.

There will be more options in a near future. Furthermore, I have in mind to develop a backend that doesn't rely on ubus.
Something similar to the backend developed by Edward Bartolo in 2015, but set with linux net capabilities instead of suid access level.
Both ubus and the backend will provide command line utilities for a better customization of /etc/simple-netaid/gtk.ini.
In doing so, it's up to the user to choose between ifupdown, dhclient, ipconfig and the like.

To end with, it's worth to mention a quirky feature of dhcpcd: after a failed connection attempt, it'll try to find another interface
to connect to the network. For instance, if the user enters the wrong password for a wifi network, dhcpcd won't succeed and therefore
it will try to connect to eth0 afterwards.

Cheers,

Aitor.