:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Beta release: dyne…
Author: Set (setto)" Hallströ
CC: gnu-linux-libre
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Beta release: dynebolic 4.0.0
Greetings bill-auger!

I apologize for the late response, it seems my mail-client's spam
filter has been a little too tough on the newsletters i subscribe to.

On Sun, 2024-03-24 at 07:51 -0400, bill-auger wrote:
> awesome, it is great to see a new dynebolic

Thanks for your enthusiasm!

> i gave the new LiveISO a try with QEMU (2 cores 2GB RAM)
> - some observations:
>
> * there was no audio - alsamixer would not start

Indeed, d:b is in beta. A lot of things still needs love. At the moment
we are short on developers. If you know anyone who'd be interested in
getting their hands on this part, it would greatly accelerate the
prcoess. But we'll get there! :)

> * KDE is much too heavy for the dynebolic use-case - even if it
> worked well in
> this context, i would strongly recommend against it for A/V
> production even on
> the most powerful computer - but ... it did not work well - after
> launching a
> few applications, then stopping them, with no applications running,
> both CPUs
> stayed at 50% with about 900 MB RAM usage - after starting konqueror,
> both CPUs
> went to 100% and stayed that way for the remainder of the session -
> after
> viewing a few websites, konqueror became unusably sluggish, then KDE
> crashed
> and restarted; but the CPU did not settle down, and konqueror stayed
> unbearably
> slow

That's odd. My experience with KDE is that it is comparable to xfce
when the setup is minimal. Maybe some Akonadi stuff slipped in. I'll
make sure we look into that.

> i also noticed some FSDG issues - i am CC'ing this to the gnu-linux-
> libre
> mailing list - we should follow-up on these on that list
>
> * thunderbird directs users to the mozilla "app store" - all FSDG
> distros
> disable that feature or change the URL - it is relatively simple to
> do -
> trisquel and parabola direct to the mozzarella website instead - it
> responds to
> the same URL search format
> https://gnuzilla.gnu.org/mozzarella/

Good catch, thank you! Any hints to documentation describing how to
achieve this would be very helpful.

> * also the dynebolic website invites users to use non-free websites
> such as
> discordapp - i believe that also is not permitted, though that may be
> a grey
> area

Thanks! Because dynebolic wants to be a gateway to free software for
creatives that may not know what free software is. It is therefor
important for us to have a bridge to proprietary chat-channels. Indeed,
the channels we have on proprietary platforms are bridged to the free
ones. Meaning regardless from where you connect, the conversation is
the same. This way we can expose these users to different, better ways
from withing their enclosed (effectively punctured) silos.

However, those proprietary services do not need our advertisement, let
alone endorsement: we will remove the discord and telegram links from
the webpage. They are left overs that were over looked. Thank you for
underlining this for us :)

Warm regards,

--
Set Hallström
AKA Setto Sakrecoer

Resident Tone-Architect at Dyne.org
🐧 https://dyne.org

GPG-Fingerprint
🔒 FB69 71E5 717F 6537 7B60 DEC1 9240 1D3F 102A 0208
🔒 A4C0 3A06 B482 0433 63E9 8CD5 294B 84A9 3F68 63E8 (Mobile/Laptop)