:: Re: [dyne:bolic] Beta release: dyne…
Author: bill-auger
CC: dynebolic mailinglist, gnu-linux-libre
Subject: Re: [dyne:bolic] Beta release: dynebolic 4.0.0
On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:17:01 +0200 Set wrote:
> That's odd. My experience with KDE is that it is comparable to xfce
> when the setup is minimal. Maybe some Akonadi stuff slipped in. I'll
> make sure we look into that.

it is probably because you have a relatively powerful graphics card and more
than average amount of RAM - a very common developer myopia: designing for
the dev box specs (which are usually much higher than the average machine),
rather than targeting the lowest common denominator - historically,
dynebolic has been known to be very lean, and able to run on the slowest
computers - an audio workstation should be lean, to avoid high-performance
eye-candy from impeding the audio processing - even XFCE is a relatively
heavy DE compared to others available - the original dynebolic used fluxbox,
for example - have a gander at this chart for a comparison:

https://l3net.files.wordpress.com/2014/02/cmp-all4.png

that chart is about 10 years old now - probably the ones heavier than LXDE
have grown significantly, but LXDE and those lighter than LXDE have not grown -
'razorqt' is what is known today as 'LXQT' (also not as light as people may think)

On Tue, 16 Apr 2024 14:17:01 +0200 Set wrote:
> > trisquel and parabola direct to the mozzarella website instead - it
>
> Good catch, thank you! Any hints to documentation describing how to
> achieve this would be very helpful.

i attached a patch file - those are the changes we make to iceweasel,
in order to support mozarella and to hide mozilla's automated
recommendations of add-ons