:: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some st…
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] There seems to be some strong disagreement in Debian regarding usrmerge
Le 31/12/2023 à 20:00, Steve Litt a écrit :
> So what is your solution?

    Let me suggest a method to tackle this problem.

    Wether there are 1202 or 1079, this seems a big deal to everybody
on this list.

    But what about the most popular 100, amongst which at least likely
50 are quasi mandatory?

    What about building one single package with all of them? The logic
is probably already implemented in all of these scripts to detect if the
application is installed. The Debian packages providing the services
proper, would then be marked in Devuan as dependant of this package.

    And, once we are on this way, since we have Runit and S6 experts on
this list, why not collect the Runit scripts into one Runit startup
package and create one for S6 monitoring?

    We would then have 3 purely-Devuan packages and a simple choice of
startup system, which would ease the desirable transition off Sysvrc.

    The services not included in the list are typically used by
experts. These experts should be able to contribute incrementally to the
Sysvrc, S6 and Runit startup/monitoring packages. Sure the Sysrc startup
package will become pretty big, but that's the cost with keeping with
Sysvrc.

    These packages might be prepared now to be used only when Debian
stops shipping the scripts. I think there is time.

   For Init proper, it seems easier: there's plethora, including
sysvinit which is fully satisfactory. And this is totally a different issue.

--     Didier