:: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Author: Didier Kryn
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Info about KDE
Le 21/12/2023 à 10:12, Martin Steigerwald a écrit :
> Hi Steve.
>
> Steve Litt - 21.12.23, 07:22:17 CET:
>> KDE sucks for the same reasons as systemd: It's a massively entangled
>> monolith. But as far as I know, KDE runs (as well as KDE can run at
>> all) on any Linux distro or init system. You will need to have dbus
>> (ewwww) working.
> Quite opinionated I'd say. I wonder whether your opinion is based on your
> own experience with KDE. However of course, be free to disagree, as that
> is what Devuan in my opinion is about: We can be a community and still
> have different preferences.
>
> I use KDE, nowadays KDE's Plasma, for more than 20 years. I am mostly
> happy with it, except still some pitfalls with Akonadi on which most of
> KDEPIM applications are based on. Or some issues with desktop search.
>
> But aside from that it is a hugely pleasant experience. Especially with
> some KDE applications that meanwhile surpass Windows equivalents in
> functionality, stability and performance. And I can configure everything
> the way I like it.
>
> I do not like to run DBUS on my servers, but I do not really mind it on
> desktop systems.
>
> As back with AmigaOS times, I still use a dual approach: I do some things
> on command line and others on GUI. Basically a shell window is open
> somewhere at almost all times.

    I dislike KDE for the same reasons as Steve. I read in one of their
documents, long ago, that KDE was actually aiming at becoming an OS,
which means an OS with one KDE application for every activity. I had
already noticed this intention. It's much like Mac-OS running on top of
BSD. As I never miss an oportunity to write, I'm in favour of "do one
thing and do it well" and leave the choice to the user.

    But the very thing that triggered my departure from KDE was that I
couldn't make sense of the desktop. Within about one year interval,
Gnome made its own move towards crazyness with Gnome-3. I don't remember
which one first. At that time I tried several other DEs and ended with
Xfce4. But I'm still considering going to a tiled DE. Just need some
time to get accustommed, but I always have other things to do with a
higher priority.

--     Didier