:: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband s…
Author: o1bigtenor
To: dvalin
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] What wireless broadband software to use on Devuan?
On Mon, Sep 25, 2023 at 12:05 AM <dvalin@???> wrote:

> On 24.09.23 06:45, o1bigtenor wrote:
> > Hmmmmmm - - - - and why would the solar power inverters
> > and the commercial battery stacks need to phone home regularly?
>
> Battery life is reduced by exposure to high summer temperatures,
> especially exposed to full sun on a west wall. If it is working hard
> to power e.g.an aircon, then it runs hotter still. E.g. Zenaji batteries
> have significant warranty period reductions for extended hot operation.
>
> The BMS (Battery Management System) will disconnect the battery
> on overcharging or excessive depth of discharge, but that is reported
> too. It's basically a case of "Be kind to our batteries if you want a warranty."
>
> Incidentally, Victron's system controller, the Cerbo GX, runs VenusOS,
> a linux variant. I've installed it on a RPi4 with 7" touchscreen, and that
> replaces the Cerbo, minus a useful bunch of interface ports. The big
> thing is that the dingus is much more configurable with OS SW on it.
>
> Some equipment vendors sell the reporting as a feature; you can
> check your system's performance and status on their portal, from
> anywhere in the world.

Dunno - - - to me it sounds more like big brother is watching and
controlling.

I would be more than somewhat careful about siting stuff but I would also
not be allowing uncontrolled access to the internet. Unfettered access
means that someone else runs my system - - - that means I'm not really
the owner - - - which would prompt the question from me - - - if you want
to manage it that closely - - - I need to find something that I'm allowed to
run (get that 'stuff' out of here!!).
(I would bet that if their controller - - - especially the software - - borks
that you would still be responsible for the mess. That point would really
need clarification imo.)