:: Re: [DNG] No sound after upgrading …
Page principale
Supprimer ce message
Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Marjorie Roome
À: dng
Sujet: Re: [DNG] No sound after upgrading to daedalus
Hi Ale,

On Tue, 2023-08-29 at 13:28 +0200, Alessandro Vesely via Dng wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> now I have this new package, pipewire, which I don't recall.  If I
> try to uninstall it, apt-get would automatically install pulseaudio,
> which I had removed a long time ago.
>
> Pipewire is not running.  If I launch it, it raises a bunch of
> errors.
>
> Audio programs don't play.  For example:
>
> ale@pcale:~$ speaker-test
>
> speaker-test 1.2.8
>
> Playback device is default
> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 1 channels
> Using 16 octaves of pink noise
> Playback open error: -112,Host is down
>
> Only Audacity works, but I have to tell it to play directly to the
> sound card
> (what else?  I never used Jack or similar stuff.)
>
> I guess something in Daedalus tells all programs to go through
> pipewire, and I should unnecessarily learn how to configure it?  Why
> can't I just eliminate it?

I use pulseaudio on Chimaera and after I upgraded to Daedalus it is
still there and working as before.

I see that the pipewire packages are installed too, though like you,
I'm not using it.

Speaker-test works as intended and produces white-noise.

I suspect there is some meta-package (DM?) logic that insists that you
have either pulseaudio or pipewire: I have a similar issue in Cinnamon
in that on my mail server if I uninstall my Evolution mail client it
loads Thunderbird instead (and vice versa) although on the mail server
I need neither. What's your DM?

I would be useful to know what has happened for those other users who
only had Alsa before upgrade - I've not seem any reports of the same
problem even though this seems to b a popular choice on Devuan.

I would also like to find out how to reversibly try out pipewire in
place of pulseaudio, since I seem to have both installed.

--
Marjorie