:: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
Author: sawbona
To: Dng
New-Topics: [DNG] Debian support for starting system services (was Re: bookworm without systemd)
Subject: Re: [DNG] bookworm without systemd
On 20 Jul 2023 at 18:13, capercally.bleery670@??? wrote:

> https://diziet.dreamwidth.org/15336.html

" ... manually install orphan-sysvinit-scripts, which exists as a
suboptimal technical workaround for the sociopolitical problems of
hostile package maintainers and Debian´s governance failures."

"... sociopolitical problems of hostile package maintainers ..."

Hmm ...
Who would have *ever* thought that was so?
ie: not really news to anyone on this side of the divide.

But Devuan users should not lose sight of what is an important part
of the post, in my opinion the *most* significant one:

---
"I think the right question is 'why use Devuan'?"
---

Really? 8^D !!!

What immediately come to mind when I read that line was one of the
oldest quotes in history:

"Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes" *
>From Aneid by Virgil.

* Beware of Greeks bearing gifts.

Curiously enough, more so his being a self declared "Debian insider",
the OP absolutely ignores the main point for using Devuan and not
Debian.

ie: it is not just and init system, but an extra layer of the os
including the init system, tearing through the very fabric of the
basic Linux philosophy.

Beside the fact that (as far as I know) Debian is a) supposed to
support sysvinit on equal terms to systemd and that b) this being
possible *today* does not in any way mean that it *will* be possible
tomorrow.

ie: when (not if) Debian devs decide that instead of half-supporting
sysvinit as they do now, they simply stop supporting it.

Even *half-upporting* is being loosely used by me here, the fact is
that Debian devs do not consider Debian+sysvinit to be supported.

This is a snip from a reply to a bug report filed to Debian this
year:

---

"Since sysvinit is not enabled by default in Debian, I do not
consider this bug as release-critical."

---

That said, thanks for the link.
Quite informative.