:: Re: [DNG] Problems in a Daedalus fr…
Author: Olaf Meeuwissen
To: Alexandros Prekates
CC: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] Problems in a Daedalus fresh installation with tasksel -> console productivity
Hi,

Alexandros Prekates <aprekates@???> writes:

>> I traced it down to runit-services using eth1 by default (or
>> hard-coded, don't remember) and blindly assuming ifconfig is
>> installed. The package didn't seem to be doing anything that was
>> useful for me so I purged it. Problem solved, for me, and I'm still
>> using isc-dhcp-client.
>
> Could you please elaborate on how to track down a service that creates
> that problem? In my syslog i just see:
> 2023-05-07T12:16:39.209478+03:00 enous dhclient[21807]: Failed to get
> interface index: No such device

This happened in February so the syslogs have all been rotated into
oblivion, but I think it went a lot like

 - hey, what's the eth1 interface in the dhclient error messsages?
   # I may have bumped the log verbosity, don't remember
 - I only have one wired interface and that's eth0
 - let's check for eth1 below /etc/ (grep -rl eth1 /etc)
 - what package did that file/directory come from (dpkg -S)
 - in case that didn't turn up anything
   - let's look in /var/lib/dpkg/info/*.{pre,post}inst
 - what's that package do?
 - do I need that for anything?
   - if no, then apt purge to the rescue
     # check what else gets pulled with it before saying yes

Hope that helps,
--
Olaf Meeuwissen