:: Re: [DNG] A warning to EU mirror op…
Author: Antonio Rendina
To: dng
Subject: Re: [DNG] A warning to EU mirror operators
Il 06/02/23 22:48, jeremy ardley via Dng ha scritto:

> On 7/2/23 03:46, The Original Linux Fan via Dng wrote:
>> Do you by any chance have a link so that I can take
>> a look at it myself?  I rarely travel abroad, but just
>> in case I decide to take an android device somewhere,
>> it might be prudent for myself and others to take a
>> look.
>
> Crossing any international border makes you at risk of having your
> electronic devices searched and/or confiscated and you charged with
> some  offense.
>
> The point where you get off the plane but haven't yet passed customs
> leaves you in a legal limbo where many of the the countries laws and
> protections don't apply, or not as usual.
>
> Customs officers will search your bags and electronic devices for
> anything banned under the customs laws and/or anything banned by the
> host country laws. They will also do identity checks on you to see if
> you are known in some way that would merit extra attention.
>
> If you are at all worried, don't carry any electronic devices, or carry
> an entry level supermarket phone with no personal data on it at all -
> though they will also search your SIM card, so a clean SIM card bought
> at the same time as the cheap phone is handy.
>
> An encrypted drive or one with encrypted files could see you spending
> extended time in a holding cell and potentially charged if you can't
> provide all the unlock keys.
>
> Any Apple device is a worst-case-scenario. They are encrypted now and
> have very limited opportunity to enter a valid decrypt key before they
> self erase.
>
> Jeremy

I think this is a bit exaggerated. Europe is a free country, I travel
all the time across Europe with 2 laptops and 2 smartphones, no one ever
searched my data, and in case, I would not allow it. The only check that
you have, is passing through the security if you fly, if not and you are
in Schengen Area (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area) you can
pass whatever border you want with train, bus or car even on feet (not
suggesting). And also when in not Schengen, it's quite simple to pass
the borders.

--
Antonio